Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Panelists, please note!



Saturday, 23rd July 2016

Personal Relations Council of India, Bangalore Chapter was celebrating Daughter's Day.

The theme of the event was, "Because I am a girl..".

I was invited to be a panelist thanks to Sushma Balu. (Do read her fabulous blog- www.missbalu.blogspot.in)



Being a panelist is a job of responsibility. In my opinion, it requires some preparation , an open mindedness and acceptance that there will be varied and drastic opinions on the panel that you may or may not adhere to. So, on my part...I did a bit of reading up about policies for girls at national and state level. Tried to understand the implementation process and the snags. I always feel that there is so much to learn and so much to know. The morning arrived, and I went to the venue dragging (literally) my leg. The entry to rangasthala (Rangoli Metro Art Centre) is at one end and it is a long stretch of walk when you have a ligament tear. Prashant, Ira and Savita came along.

As the panel discussion was underway, some tips that I learnt from panelists over the years came to mind and sharing them here.

Five things when you are a panelist:

1. Keep self promotion to a minimum. The moderator has already introduced you.
2. Answer the questions posed to you.
3. Let the other panelists speak. Do not cut them in. No one gets an award for bad behaviour.
4. Come. Prepared. Do some background reading.
5. Open mindedness and acceptance that there will be varied and drastic opinions on the panel that you may or may not adhere to.

Post that hour of discussion, headed home feeling a Saturday morning was interestingly spent. The best part of the day was Ira sitting in the audience and saying,  "Yaay Mamma!", each time I had the mike. 

No comments:

Rima, you are deeply loved

                                                  Rima at Infinitea, Bengaluru Dearest Rima, I wish I wasn’t writing this letter to you. B...