Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Some experiences nudge us to happiness and this was mine



Sometimes, life throws opportunities at you that you must grab without a second thought. This is exactly what I did in June when the course coordinator for MA Public Policy, MCC called me and asked if I would be able to take the Behavioral Science Course for the MAPP second year students.

Having taught this at IISc in 2015, I was ready to embark on another semester of teaching BS. However, the entire orientation and focus of the course was different from what I had taught earlier. I had earlier taught Management and design students and the concepts were primarily focusing on psychology and management. This time, there was a lot of focus on economic concepts and for me, this was a whole new learning. Prior to each session, I would sit for hours reading papers, books and prepping for the session. And was absolutely thrilled with myself for creating unconventional question paper for them, with some abstract elements. For the uninitiated, academia is so much of hard work and I have immense respect for all my friends who are full time academicians; and for my teachers.

The class composition was what made teaching this course one of my best experiences ever. The students were intelligent, dynamic young women who knew what they were striving for and also why they were pursuing this course .They were from diverse backgrounds of English literature, Journalism, Psychology, Microbiology, Engineering, Public Policy (I hope I haven't missed any!). Each of them brought with them their share of unique experiences and working at the grassroots with different organizations for their internship.

Our classes were filled with experiential anecdotes, some that made us thoughtful and some laugh so hard, that our cheeks would hurt.

I absolutely enjoyed this 'teaching stint' and they will always be a special bunch of girls for me. Today, I not only took my final class with them, but I also invigilated a Psychology Practical exam that brought back tons of memories.

Some experiences nudge us to happiness and this was mine! Wishing the girls best for all their endeavors.

#Happiness #LoveTeaching #BehavioralScience #MyAlmaMater #ExistentialExperiences

No comments:

Rima, you are deeply loved

                                                  Rima at Infinitea, Bengaluru Dearest Rima, I wish I wasn’t writing this letter to you. B...